Oh that God would give every mother a vision of the glory and splendor of the work that is given to her when a babe is place in her bosom to be nursed and trained! Could she have but one glimpse in to the future of that life as it reaches on into eternity; could she look into it's soul to see its possibilities; could she be made to understand her own personal responsibility for the training of this child, for the development of its life, and for its destiny,--she would see that in all God's world there is no other work so noble and so worthy of her best powers, and she would commit to no others hands the sacred and holy trust given to her." -JR Miller

Friday, July 30, 2010

Babyled Weaning - slightly modified

I had never heard of babyled weaning before this last pregnancy (or babywearing) but it really appealled to me and still does so I decided that instead of the usual starting with some baby rice at about 16 weeks I would try and get to 6 months - the breastfeeding certainly helped and it has felt natural to wait but a few weeks ago when I took baby to be weighed she had only put on about 4oz in 4 weeks and although no one was really worried, as she had been showing some interest in food I decided to slowly introduce a few bits - she's not quite sitting up on her own so I'm not able to pop her in a high chair (also I don't have one lol) and put some bits on her tray, instead she sits on my knee as we eat and I hand her some things from my plate - though tonight (as we were not having anything more than cereals due to me not feeling gr8) I made her up a little porridge with water and did the unthinkable - spoon fed her haha. Honestly it's been great, it feels like an extension of breastfeeding, my whole parenting of this baby is so different - more demanding but more fulfilling too and I'm really enjoying watching her experiment and experience new tastes and textures - I'm also enjoying the more settled baby who is sleeping more than 3 hours at a time during the night (well most nights) and the sleep I'm getting!!
All in all babyled weaning has my vote - and although I know I am not following it religiously I have allowed it to influence how I introduce solids to my baby and I think it has had a good effect and frees us from some of the stress involved in weaning though maybe increases the mess a little!

No comments: