Oh that God would give every mother a vision of the glory and splendor of the work that is given to her when a babe is place in her bosom to be nursed and trained! Could she have but one glimpse in to the future of that life as it reaches on into eternity; could she look into it's soul to see its possibilities; could she be made to understand her own personal responsibility for the training of this child, for the development of its life, and for its destiny,--she would see that in all God's world there is no other work so noble and so worthy of her best powers, and she would commit to no others hands the sacred and holy trust given to her." -JR Miller

Sunday, October 27, 2013

journey of life

I have really neglected this poor blog - I have so much in my heart and so much to think about and that I want to share it's hard to know where to start!

What I love most about life is, it's a journey! And it's a journey of learning - from the minute we are born to the minute we die (hopefully) we don't stop learning and growing and maturing.

That also means that what I feel strongly about today and the opinions I have are subject to change and in a few years I may feel completely different! I was thinking back to the beginning of my parenting journey - I had never heard of attachment parenting, gentle parenting, babywearing and all the things that surround it and was of the (strong) opinion that children (babies) needed to be trained! And that if I didn't take my job seriously and deal with every little misbehaviour I would end up with spoilt brats!

I am so thankful for the internet and the freedom and availability of information about children's development etc as I have a much better understanding of childhood and things that I would have called "disobedience" "rudeness" etc with my first couple of children I now see as "normal" exploration and learning about themselves.

I also hope that as I live and read my bible and grow closer to God, I become much more loving and accepting of others, especially those with different ideas than me - I'm not talking about compromising my beliefs and saying that it's ok to "be a christian" and happily, continually take part in things that obviously go against God's laws but there is a whole lot of "leeway" in living out our lives in light of God's word and we are called to be true to our convictions (which may be different in different families)

I don't want to be legalistic - I want to live in God's freedom and be all that He has called me to be! And I don't want to be a stumbling block to others who are called to live a "different" way than me. I am called to Home Educate my children - you might not be! Doesn't mean either of us are better - we are just doing the best for our families as we see it. You may be called to wear a skirt more often than me or cover your head while praying - it's fine, I am not but again that doesn't mean either of u are "better"  - I think life would be so much better if we all spent more time concentrating on our own lives and convictions than worrying about whether others are right or wrong!

1 comment:

Shirley-Ann said...

hear hear Sarah! Well said ;o)