Oh that God would give every mother a vision of the glory and splendor of the work that is given to her when a babe is place in her bosom to be nursed and trained! Could she have but one glimpse in to the future of that life as it reaches on into eternity; could she look into it's soul to see its possibilities; could she be made to understand her own personal responsibility for the training of this child, for the development of its life, and for its destiny,--she would see that in all God's world there is no other work so noble and so worthy of her best powers, and she would commit to no others hands the sacred and holy trust given to her." -JR Miller

Thursday, December 12, 2013

A day In the life of a larger than average unschooling family

Today I decided to mainly stand back and observe my children. Study them closely and learn more about how they learn and activities they enjoy. Oh and take lots of photos :-) 

The day started before 7am when our 3yo got in our bed and requested to be taken downstairs! Our almost 2yo soon followed suit, so daddy, me and the youngest 2 took ourselves to the living room and the adults enjoyed a coffee! 

The rest of the children were much later getting up as we'd had a fairly late night.

Once the 5 and 7yo were up they decided to get back to the Hama beads they had been doing the night before. 

I had 2 lots of pastry in the fridge (from a couple of nights before when our eldest decided she wanted to bake but then didn't like the feeling of sticky dough on her hands) and a husband with a love of mince pies, therefore the logical task for me after cleaning up the kitchen was to get baking - we ended up making 24 mince pies, 24 jam tarts and 24 lemon curd tarts! Plus I prepared a stew in between the baking (multitasking) 
During the course of my baking I had help from most of the girls at some point, the 3yo especially enjoyed it. 

My 7yo brought her Hama beads designs and I had a quick google on my phone to show her some Christmas patterns which she went off to copy. 

After lunch my parents brought me some bags from a friend. I had a quick look through and when Rebakah saw the big box of beads away went the Hama beads ready for some beading. 




I was surprised to see how long my 7yo focused on the Hama beads, usually she seems quick to flit from one activity to another. 
We also discovered some card making crafts in the bags so Rebekah started making some cards - she is on a mission to make something she can sell!! 



I had just finished cleaning up the kitchen (again) when Rebekah asked to make some cookies! Not wanting to discourage her but not having the energy to bake "more" goodies I took a minute to think of the need behind the request, which was to use cookie cutters and offered her an alternative of making no cook play dough 


I almost forgot the bit of dancing and singing that happened before the play dough - my children love to perform, though not necessarily in front of people.

My eldest also enjoyed ironing and was asking for clothes to iron after she helped her sisters iron their Hama beads 


Once the play dough was ready, the girls turned them into babies and imaginative play began! 



We've also been watching life of pi the last couple of days (we tend to have to have a film on a few times for me to be able to watch the majority of it, especially during daytime) which led to discussions of animals and allegory's 



After clearing up from tea I came back into the living room to find them acting out a fun story! 

And for a lot of this time what was the boy doing?? 


Minecraft of course!! 

Looking at the pictures and thinking it over, we are definitely a "creative" family, arts and crafts being the general favourite past time - I have only caught the highlights here and I am sure another day would be totally different but it's definitely interesting to really think about what makes our children tick, and then find ways to help them continue growing and learning and developing without denying who they are inside! 

I would be interested to see a day in the life of any other unschoolers - if you blog then give me a link so I can be nosey :-) 

No comments: