Oh that God would give every mother a vision of the glory and splendor of the work that is given to her when a babe is place in her bosom to be nursed and trained! Could she have but one glimpse in to the future of that life as it reaches on into eternity; could she look into it's soul to see its possibilities; could she be made to understand her own personal responsibility for the training of this child, for the development of its life, and for its destiny,--she would see that in all God's world there is no other work so noble and so worthy of her best powers, and she would commit to no others hands the sacred and holy trust given to her." -JR Miller

Wednesday, November 04, 2009

Today's mighty oak is just yesterdays nut that held it's ground ......
This is my current facebook status - I read it somewhere and thought that is such an awesome quote I just had to remember it.
But when you think about it there is so much encouragement you can get from that sentence - especially if like me lots of people around you think you must be "nuts" haha.

I first thought about it in regards to mothering, we are raising mighty oaks, men and women of God who will stand their ground and hold onto God's Word. At this time of year (Halloween) I am finding lots of opportunities to talk to my children about what we believe and why we don't celebrate Halloween and although at the moment they just take my word for it, I'm praying and hoping that they will decide on their own- in fact I am so proud of them at the moment, they are doing what I ask even when I'm not in the room. Let me explain, if any of you watch cbeebies there is a relatively new program called waybuloo, once I saw it and realised it involved teaching yoga I told the children that we weren't going to watch that anymore as yoga was not something good, and now I hear them telling their little 3 year old sister that we don't watch that because it's got "yoga poga" on lol.
I also told them that I would rather they watch veggie tales or some such dvd rather than normal tele and even though they were up before me they did exactly that.
It is so encouraging and rewarding and I just pray that it will continue as they grow.

We can also look at it in a more personal sense - we are the "nut" that will become the "mighty oak" - we just follow what God is leading us into and endeavour to obey what he commands then he will transform us from what we are into what He wants us to be and without even realising it we will be "mighty oaks"
How amazing and encouraging!

No comments: