Oh that God would give every mother a vision of the glory and splendor of the work that is given to her when a babe is place in her bosom to be nursed and trained! Could she have but one glimpse in to the future of that life as it reaches on into eternity; could she look into it's soul to see its possibilities; could she be made to understand her own personal responsibility for the training of this child, for the development of its life, and for its destiny,--she would see that in all God's world there is no other work so noble and so worthy of her best powers, and she would commit to no others hands the sacred and holy trust given to her." -JR Miller

Wednesday, November 25, 2009

Setting a good example ....

I often think of traits that I would like to see in my children, the latest is to see my eldest perservere in learning new skills, eg knitting and sewing. She has expressed an interest in learning both these skills over the last few years but she's not been very good and keeping on at it until she can do it. Now I have to admit that I think maybe she gets that from me! I can do basic knitting and sewing but have never persevered enough to become proficient, so while thinking about this I decided that the best way to help my daughter develop this trait is to develop it myself!

I started knitting a cardigan when I was pregnant with my first child (who is now 7 and a half) and I have just this week finished it - well I have buttons to put on but the knitting is done! It gives you such a sense of acheivement and has inspired me to do more but the best thing about it is that my daughter has been asking to do her knitting too :-) so I'm thinking as long as I carry on with my enthusiasm then she will "catch" that and have chance to become proficent in these skills while still young!

No comments: