Oh that God would give every mother a vision of the glory and splendor of the work that is given to her when a babe is place in her bosom to be nursed and trained! Could she have but one glimpse in to the future of that life as it reaches on into eternity; could she look into it's soul to see its possibilities; could she be made to understand her own personal responsibility for the training of this child, for the development of its life, and for its destiny,--she would see that in all God's world there is no other work so noble and so worthy of her best powers, and she would commit to no others hands the sacred and holy trust given to her." -JR Miller

Friday, April 16, 2010

Edified or Entertained!

I often listen to premier radio on freeview in the evenings and mornings and a few days ago I caught a snippet - just a sentence "are you seeking to be edified or just entertained?"
This really made me think about my life, and the choices I make, now don't get me wrong there's nothing wrong with being entertained (I'm often entertained just watching my children) but is there a balance? And are we careful about the things we watch/read to entertain us?
Luke 6 tells us

43"No good tree bears bad fruit, nor does a bad tree bear good fruit. 44Each tree is recognized by its own fruit. People do not pick figs from thornbushes, or grapes from briers. 45The good man brings good things out of the good stored up in his heart, and the evil man brings evil things out of the evil stored up in his heart. For out of the overflow of his heart his mouth speaks.


But how do we bear good fruit? And how do we get good stored in our hearts? I don't believe we can simply accept Christ into our lives then leave ALL the work to him for He tells us to work out our salvation, (Philippians 2:12) which I believe to mean, seek Him for the works He has planned for you to do, spend time in His presence so that He can reveal areas of your life that aren't pleasing to Him and yes we can't change ourselves but we can make choices that affect our behaviour and attitude and one of these choices concerns what we do with our time! So next time you're putting the tv on or sitting down with a book maybe ask yourself if you are seeking simply to be entertained or to be edified?
Being a busy Mum of 5, free time is not something I have in abundance and I want to make sure I'm using that time wisely, also it could be a good question to ask regarding your childrens time - are they spending more time being entertained than edified? I'm sure it will have an impact on their behaviour.

No comments: