Oh that God would give every mother a vision of the glory and splendor of the work that is given to her when a babe is place in her bosom to be nursed and trained! Could she have but one glimpse in to the future of that life as it reaches on into eternity; could she look into it's soul to see its possibilities; could she be made to understand her own personal responsibility for the training of this child, for the development of its life, and for its destiny,--she would see that in all God's world there is no other work so noble and so worthy of her best powers, and she would commit to no others hands the sacred and holy trust given to her." -JR Miller

Wednesday, May 05, 2010

Purposeful Living, Purposeful Schooling

I think I'm finding that the key to successful homeschooling is having a purpose.
Not just a broad, want to bring children up in ways of God, and be well educated purpose but a daily purpose.
When we plan, we give ourselves a purpose. It doesn't matter if "life" happens and we don't "tick all the boxes" or accomplish all we planned, we've still lived a purposeful day.

I believe it's about getting that fine balance, using our scedules/plans as tools, not being dictated to and burdened by them, but still acceptnig they have their place and realising if we plan nothing, we will acheive exactly that!
I'm finding this to be true with my toddlers, I was so focused on making sure that the older ones were doing schoolwork that I didn't plan any purposeful activities for the little ones, but after finding this site and doing some research I decided to try doing tot trays (thank you Lucy) - it's only been a week but already my 3 year old is saying "can we do trays" every morning and the best thing for me is I FEEL like I'm achieving something! Not that they weren't learning before, they can count and know colours with minimal effort on my part but now because I've put thought into it and spent time planning it feels a whole lot better and of course it will  increase their self worth to know that Mummy thought enough of them to spend time planning activities for them!

Think thats it for now ;-) but may well share some more in coming weeks as I discover more how purposeful living/schooling affects us.

No comments: