Oh that God would give every mother a vision of the glory and splendor of the work that is given to her when a babe is place in her bosom to be nursed and trained! Could she have but one glimpse in to the future of that life as it reaches on into eternity; could she look into it's soul to see its possibilities; could she be made to understand her own personal responsibility for the training of this child, for the development of its life, and for its destiny,--she would see that in all God's world there is no other work so noble and so worthy of her best powers, and she would commit to no others hands the sacred and holy trust given to her." -JR Miller

Sunday, May 23, 2010

Update

Hi, just thought I'd let you know how we're getting on with our new planning etc.
Well apart from the illnesses we're not doing bad, the Mcdonald's incentive has worked wonders with my eldest who has completed her first book and is now doing explode the code book 1 1/2 because I think she still needs the extra practise.
My 6 yo son is now doing hooked on phonics as his aversion to writing has continued but he loves to read which HOP is more about - I think I have realised that even though they are very close in age they need seperate programs for certain subjects.
Math U See is still going well - I am determined to get the book finished before September so that we can start Alpha.
Konos I have put on the back burner - it's great but I've seriously been struggling to find planning time and then actually implementing it - plus I managed to buy a second hand copy of five in a row which is much more simple and looks great (plus I have 3 of the books already) so will TRY and implement that one - though not planning on doing much more than maths and phonics while it is this hot!!!

Tot trays have been great but the older two like to join in too lol - we also do calendar time every morning now - we have some songs to sing and the little ones particularly love it - I don't think it will be long before they all know the days of the week! I also made a calendar notebook for the older two, so we could go into more detail but that has had limited success - seems to depend on their moods.
I'm thinking that as the weather is getting warmer and we're heading towards summer I may just concentrate on maths and reading and if I plan anything make it more nature orientated or cooking - maybe some science experiments. Anything hands on really. Plus we could work on character building - I bought this book and have been reading through it and implementing some of the ideas. Though I can't be doing too bad on character development - isn't it great as our children get older and we begin to see the fruit - my eldest impressed her Grandad this weekend (not an easy thing to do) with how well a job she did sweeping up for him, she even swept where he hadn't mentioned and paid great detail to the job!!

Can't think of much else at the moment except I am organising the above rubies family camp for October so think I'm going to be rather busy over the next few months - but what a great opportunity to facilitate other families to come and be encouraged and inspired!!!

No comments: