Oh that God would give every mother a vision of the glory and splendor of the work that is given to her when a babe is place in her bosom to be nursed and trained! Could she have but one glimpse in to the future of that life as it reaches on into eternity; could she look into it's soul to see its possibilities; could she be made to understand her own personal responsibility for the training of this child, for the development of its life, and for its destiny,--she would see that in all God's world there is no other work so noble and so worthy of her best powers, and she would commit to no others hands the sacred and holy trust given to her." -JR Miller

Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Home School Planning - plan of action

Planning seems to be a theme running through my life at the moment lol. I tend towards going with the flow and being quite relaxed but after lots of prayer and thought I have realised that at this particular season in my life I need to do some planning - otherwise we will be achieving very little. I'm happy for my children to be follwing their own particular interests in the future but right now with 5 little ones under 8 and no independent readers there has to be some structure for me to keep sane and so that we can concentrate on learning to read!
So I decided to plan the childrens schooling but I was absolutely clueless where to begin - I looked at forms but none of them really seemed to give me a real guideline to what I could do and how I could get down my ideas onto paper to make them easier to follow so here's what I did:-

First, I listed my childrens names and set a couple of goals each for the year - the only goals I noted was to have them reading independently and complete the next math u see book (Alpha)

(thought best to start small)

Then I listed all the curriculum etc I wanted to use per child - eg math u see, story of the world, exploring creation, hooked on phonics (we use slightly different reading programs for my older two and I don't do all the same for my younger ones) - I guess this would be course of study?

I also noted which subjects we would do all together (such as calendar time, bible time etc)

Then I made a table with mon - fri down the side and childrens names along the top and in each box wrote which subjects which day - so reading prog and maths every day and history, science, geography etc split up over the week for the older two and I wrote down tot trays/ tot school for younger two

http://www.1plus1plus1equals1.com/TotSchool.html

I then noted which lessons need planning - for example history I need to copy the activity sheets etc and plan what to do for bible time etc

My next task is to actually plan the lessons lol I think I wll get a folder with dividers in and print out a weeks worth (or maybe two just to keep ahead) of sheets I will need etc so its all ready and the night before I will get out what I need from planning folder to have to hand.

I hope this helps anyone who might have been in the same situation as me - planning is quite simple but its hard sometimes to know where to start and how to break it down into something manageable.

3 comments:

Deedee said...

Sounds like a great plan Sarah! The most important thing in a plan is finding one that WORKS for your family and your situtation (and that may change many times over the years - so don't be discouraged if what works for planning this year doesn't work next year! There won't be anythingn wrong with the plan, just simply your family changes all the time - and that's OK!)
PS-we now have a car, so closer to being mobile again! We missed Robin Hood too. :o(

Our Family for His Glory said...

Wow!! You've been busy! Thanks for sharing your plan... I know plans always help me too. :)
Jessica

joc4jesus said...

Hey Sarah; I've given you an award; check it out at my blog.