Oh that God would give every mother a vision of the glory and splendor of the work that is given to her when a babe is place in her bosom to be nursed and trained! Could she have but one glimpse in to the future of that life as it reaches on into eternity; could she look into it's soul to see its possibilities; could she be made to understand her own personal responsibility for the training of this child, for the development of its life, and for its destiny,--she would see that in all God's world there is no other work so noble and so worthy of her best powers, and she would commit to no others hands the sacred and holy trust given to her." -JR Miller

Monday, January 11, 2010

Decisions, decisions

The challenges and choices we have to make as mothers can be overwhelming, especially when we have undertaken the task to educate our children, we have to decide which curriculum will be best for them, how and when to learn certain tasks.
We make many decisions everyday, some seemingly not important, others can be life changing. But how can we make sure we are making the right decisions? What about feeding our families? We have to decide who to listen to, which news reports or recent researches are worth taking note of. Personally I take a very middle of the road view, I love cooking and eating food from scratch rather than pre packaged etc and I've even taken to making my own bread (though not daily) but I also believe in keeping life easy for me, espeically at the moment as I'm supposed to be taking things easy as I near the end of this pregnancy. So prepackaged cereals for breakfast are the norm and the occasional day not actually cooking a "proper" meal - beans on toast is actually quite a nutritious meal (I think lol)

I have a pretty big (well it a big deal for me) decision to make in next few months and it is regarding nutrition and feeding my family, or more specifically my baby who is due to be born in a month or so and that is the decision whether or not to attempt breastfeeding. Now please don't get me wrong, I am very pro breastfeeding and I believe it is best for baby and I will definately breastfeed for first couple of days (the colostrum) but I have discovered from my last baby and from research done this pregnancy that I am one of these rare women who's breasts don't work well :-( I have a condition called PCOS and one of the symptoms for me is that my breasts don't produce the milk needed. Now there are some things I could do, I could take some tablets to help produce milk though they are not guaranteed and no matter what I do having to supplement with formula is practically definate.
So as I'm sure you can imagine I'm quite in a quandry, I would love to breast feed and if it was my first baby and I'd discovered all this I would be more than willing to jump through hoops - maybe even using a supplement feeding line but when this is baby number 5 and I am homeschooling the others and time will be limited anyway - not to mention the fact that I find it hard to deal with the fact that I physically can't breastfeed and emotions are all over the place after birth anyway, I'm finding it a very difficult decision to make.

My scan is on Thursday and that could bring more decisions our way too, as we will discover if the placenta has moved and I can continue with my planned homebirth - the most important thing I find in all this is to take it all to God and ask Him for His wisdom and to trust Him that He will see me through all of it!

No comments: