Oh that God would give every mother a vision of the glory and splendor of the work that is given to her when a babe is place in her bosom to be nursed and trained! Could she have but one glimpse in to the future of that life as it reaches on into eternity; could she look into it's soul to see its possibilities; could she be made to understand her own personal responsibility for the training of this child, for the development of its life, and for its destiny,--she would see that in all God's world there is no other work so noble and so worthy of her best powers, and she would commit to no others hands the sacred and holy trust given to her." -JR Miller

Friday, April 05, 2013

Owwww, my poor hand

Yesterday, I hurt my hand :-( bashed it on the door as entering my house! 

It hurts, its swollen and I think probably just bruised but OW 

Its my right hand! I am learning how much I rely on my right hand, last night I couldn't use a tin opener, slice a cucumber, struggled to change a nappy - basically felt very incapcitated.

It made me think though, my hand is only a small part of my body but such an important part - when it doesn't work properly then it affects everything! 

It also brought to mind this scripture 

1 Corinthians 12:12-26


12 Just as a body, though one, has many parts, but all its many parts form one body, so it is with Christ. 13 For we were all baptized by[c] one Spirit so as to form one body—whether Jews or Gentiles, slave or free—and we were all given the one Spirit to drink. 14 Even so the body is not made up of one part but of many.
15 Now if the foot should say, “Because I am not a hand, I do not belong to the body,” it would not for that reason stop being part of the body. 16 And if the ear should say, “Because I am not an eye, I do not belong to the body,” it would not for that reason stop being part of the body. 17 If the whole body were an eye, where would the sense of hearing be? If the whole body were an ear, where would the sense of smell be? 18 But in fact God has placed the parts in the body, every one of them, just as he wanted them to be. 19 If they were all one part, where would the body be? 20 As it is, there are many parts, but one body.
21 The eye cannot say to the hand, “I don’t need you!” And the head cannot say to the feet, “I don’t need you!” 22 On the contrary, those parts of the body that seem to be weaker are indispensable,23 and the parts that we think are less honorable we treat with special honor. And the parts that are unpresentable are treated with special modesty, 24 while our presentable parts need no special treatment. But God has put the body together, giving greater honor to the parts that lacked it, 25 so that there should be no division in the body, but that its parts should have equal concern for each other. 26 If one part suffers, every part suffers with it; if one part is honored, every part rejoices with it.
27 Now you are the body of Christ, and each one of you is a part of it.


What an amazing truth - we are all different, we all have different parts to play, different paths to take, some may be called to home educate, some called to play a big part in a public school, some may be called to run their own businesses, others to be a blessing as an employee - but all of us are important! No one is better than anyone else and when one suffers so do all, I believe the church is ALL the believers, not just the ones that gather in one particular building.

Lets remember to encourage and support one another, in real life, and online as we all press on towards the goal - of becoming more and more like Jesus

No comments: